Saturday, June 11, 2011

Creativity does not come in a box.

I have a juicy secret to share with you; I cannot cook from a box. Honest! Give me five ingredients and I can make a gourmet meal, but hand me a box of macaroni and cheese......diner beware.

I wanted to share this with you because last Sunday I made a famous box meal in one of their 'new' flavors, which let's face it, might as well been a soup by the time I was 'done' cooking.

I can assure you; I read every detail on that stupid box, and measured everything to the tee. I even put the timer on to make sure I cooked it for the required times. But here at the end of the instructions I still had a soup of ground beef, rice, and some sort yellow liquid that should be a cheese sauce.

My husband,  the ying to my yang, can prepare box meals like he invented them. Infact, sometimes (ok, most of the time) the miracle that comes out of the pan looks better than what is pictured on the box. Let's just say that for the most part any boxed meal is prepared by him.

This Sunday's episode of box food gone bad gave me an epiphany. It's not my fault.  I don't do well with box foods because there is not an ounce of opportunity for creativity in following instructions. Measure this, stir that, cook here, and serve there. I suppose that is why when it gets to the cutting and stitching part, I can never stick to the pattern; hence why I have never got into sewing. Manipulating patterns and blending three of them into one is very VERY hard, but for some reason I just can't pick one pattern. I'm sick: I know.

My husband says my version of rice o roni (made from scratch, by my own recipe) tastes exactly like the box kind. But I garentee you, that you give me the box and you'll have burnt mushy rice.  So here's to my husband, the professional box-chef. He probably doesn't have any idea what alumn is, but he can make hamburger helper with his eyes closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment